maroon adj : dark brownish to purplish red [syn: brownish-red]
1 a person who is stranded (as on an island); "when the tide came in I was a maroon out there"
2 a dark purplish red to dark brownish red
3 an exploding firework used as a warning signal
1 leave stranded or isolated withe little hope og rescue; "the travellers were marooned" [syn: strand]
2 leave stranded on a desert island without resources; "The mutinous sailors were marooned on an island"
- Associated with Maroon culture, communities or peoples.
- To abandon in a remote, desolate place, as on a deserted island.
Etymology 2French marron, “chestnut; brown”.
dark red, somewhat brownish colour
- Chinese: 栗色
- Danish: maron
- Finnish: punaruskea
- French: marron pourpré, bordeaux
- German: Kastanienbraun
- Italian: marrone, bordeaux
- Japanese: くり色 (くりいろ, kuriiro)
- Korean: 밤색 (bamsaeg, -k)
- Spanish: castaño
- Swedish: bordeaux
- Vietnamese: hạt dẻ
- Of a maroon color
Maroon, marooning, or marooned may refer to:
- Maroon (color), a mixture composed of brown and red
- Maroon (people), runaway slaves in the West Indies, Central America, South America, or North America
- Marooning, the act of leaving someone on a deserted island
- Maroon (rocket), a loud rocket used for signaling
- "Marooned" (Red Dwarf episode)
(novel), a novel by Martin
- Marooned (film), a 1969 film starring Gregory Peck and Richard Crenna, based upon the novel
- Queensland Maroons, officially called "Queensland State of Origin Team"
- Montreal Maroons, a professional ice hockey team from 1924 to 1938
- Toledo Maroons, an NFL team from 1922 to 1923
- Kenosha Maroons, an NFL team in 1924
- Pottsville Maroons, an NFL team from 1925 to 1928
- UP Fighting Maroons, the athletic teams of the University of the Philippines
- Chicago Maroons, the athletic teams of the University of Chicago
- Roanoke College Maroons, the athletic teams of Roanoke College
- Moline High School Maroons, the athletic teams of Moline High School
In other uses:
- Maroon 5, a United States pop band
maroon in Simple English: Maroon
Titian, Titian-red, abandon, back out, beg off, bivouac, bricky, cardinal, carmine, carnation, carnelian, cast away, cerise, cherry, cherry-colored, cherry-red, crimson, cry off, damask, depart from, desert, discard, drop out, encamp, evacuate, ferruginous, fiery, fire-red, flame-colored, flame-red, flaming, forsake, glowing, go back on, gules, hot, incarmined, inflamed, infrared, iron-red, isolate, jettison, jilt, lake-colored, laky, lateritious, leave, leave behind, leave flat, lobster-red, lurid, port-wine, puce, pull out, quit, quit cold, red, red-dyed, red-looking, reddened, reddish, reddish-amber, reddish-brown, renege, rubicund, rubiginous, rubric, rubricose, ruby, ruby-colored, ruby-red, ruddied, ruddy, rufescent, rufous, rust, rust-red, rusty, say goodbye to, scarlet, seclude, stammel, stand down, strand, take leave of, tent, throw over, tile-red, vacate, vermilion, vinaceous, warm, wine, wine-colored, wine-red, withdraw